If you have pets, you need a Pet Emergency Plan
IN AN EMERGENCY YOUR ANIMALS RELY ON YOU
Know your risks. Be prepared.
Stay informed. Act early.
CHECKLIST FOR YOUR ANIMAL EMERGENCY KIT
- 3 days food and water, treats, bowls, can opener
- Current medications, animal first aid kit, vaccination certificate, care instructions in waterproof container
- ID tag, record of microchip number, photo of animal in case they get lost
- Secure crate/carrier, collar, harness, lead
- Comfort item - toy, blanket etc
- Toileting supplies - eg cat litter, poo bags etc
- Cleaning supplies & plastic rubbish bags
- Emergency contact numbers - local vet, friend or neighbour to assist you with animals, emergency accommodation
The RSPCA South Australia has developed this video to help you plan ahead and act early for the safety of yourself and your pets in emergencies.
More information is at the RSPCA South Ausralia website.
Other useful resources to help prepare for emergencies when you have pets
Australian Veterinary Association - Animals and Natural Disasters
RSPCA NSW - Disaster Management Plan
NSW RFS - Prepare Your Horse for a Bushfire
NSW DPI - Pets & livestock
RSPCA AUSTRALIA - How to prevent heatstroke in hot weather for pets
WIRES NSW - Heat stressed wildlife
WIRES - Bushfire Factsheet for Wildlife